AT&T Labs is made up of approximately 1,300 of the world's best scientists and engineers including experts in advanced data networking, software engineering, systems integration & speech technology. The research team is made up of experts in science and technologies of importance to AT&T. The development team creates new products and services through integration of off-the-shelf products -- including the tools and systems to manage secure and reliable networks for customers and for AT&T. They also develop and deploy new technologies to automate and streamline the way AT&T interacts with customers. AT&T Labs' scientists have won numerous distinguished awards from professional associations and leading academic institutions.
AT&T Labs develops and leverages leading-edge technologies to give AT&T and its customers a competitive advantage. AT&T Labs is made up of a research organization and several development units. It is the innovation engine behind AT&T's world-class technology.
- The Research team focuses on research areas, including Computing and Communications Foundations, Networking and Software Systems, Information and Intelligent Systems, and Society and Technology.
- The Development teams are designing the new self-operating global network and developing new processes, systems and service platforms to deliver the lowest cost and the highest quality services in the market.
AT&T Labs brings technology innovation to the company's wide array of network and communications services to ensure that AT&T customers have the most reliable, secure and intelligent communications services available.
Areas of Focus
- Research is at a nexus of opportunity for leading invention and driving innovation at AT&T.
- Delivering a wide range of communications and information services—from industry-leading networks, to cloud computing, to mobile applications and entertainment services.
- Making advances in speech technologies, network management, and information mining and visualization, among other technologies.
- Lead achievement of a consistent & efficient architecture within AT&T's networks, operation support systems and service platforms
- Technology evaluation of internal & external innovations
- Reliability & performance studies
- Benchmarking analysis of competitive networks and technology
- E-enable AT&T to streamline and automate customer relationships and create new services
- Lead standards management with key government, industry and technology groups
Development (Network Services)
- Optical transport network and services
- Global IP, Frame ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode)
- Broadband advanced access
- Voice over IP
- Access technologies
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) Client software & devices
- End-to-end IP VPN strategy, design and service solution
- IP Messaging and Business Internet Services
- Managed Hosting Services, Content Distribution Networks, Media Services and Streaming
- iGEMS (Integrated Global Enterprise Management System) platform development
- Voice Applications
- Software applications for network adjuncts and network intelligent call processing nodes
- Custom network solutions
- Consulting and support in the application of quantitative business methods and management information systems
- Configuration management consulting for large and small software projects
- Consulting for software process assessments & process improvements
- Software development and rapid prototyping
- Information research, retrieval, monitoring and analysis
- Website design and development of automated training materials and technical writing
- Protect & manage AT&T's portfolio of IP assets
- Leverage the economic value of AT&T's IP portfolio through licensing and litigation efforts
- Partner with internal clients for the development of strategic patent and technology portfolios
- Provide valuation support for asset sales, donations and M&A activities
Systems & Service Management
- Technical planning, systems engineering, testing, integration, design, development & deployment for AT&T Network, Local Global and AT&T Business Services
- Best in class systems in support of zero-touch operations for all data, IP, optical and voice network services including VoIP for local, long distance and global
- Provide common portal for self-servicing with best industry performance
- Production support for systems (running the business) cost at lowest possible in industry
- Provide secure management of data network to connect AT&T work centers and operation systems